My name is Sean Barr and I am a UX Designer. I have an Associate in Science Degree in Multimedia Technologies with a concentration in Web Design and Development from Pittsburgh Technical College. This portfolio site is to show my abilities and what I can do to meet client needs.
I am a strong believer that researching each project and defining the user goals and business goals before
you brainstorm the project's solution is the only way to ensure that the solution will meet those goals and become a success. I enjoy the process of identifying and interviewing target audiences. I also enjoy participating in the production phase, using my considerable skills in front end development. I particularly enjoy developing styles for web
pages, keeping them clean and professional but with a dash of visual fun, applying subtle accents to suit the theme but not overwhelm the project.
I hope you enjoy my portfolio!
Design, Front-end Development, Interactivity
Let user create a customized phone case.
Children, Young Adults, Adults
- Design features nice, bright colors to add a fun energy for a younger audience.
- Layout was carefully designed to fit on one screen in both horizontal and landscape orientations, with minimal need for scrolling.
- Throughout the selection process, a composite image shows the user how their phone is going to look. Graphics with transparent backgrounds were carefully created and are overlayed on each other to create the composite image of the phone case.
Meeting The Client
Our client tasked my team with redesigning the internal website for Pittsburgh Technical College's library.
First, we met with the client and had her go over what she wanted. Her goals included bringing in new students to the library and making it seem useful and welcoming. Since my class uses scrum team methodology, we wrote down each feature she requested as a "Product Backlog Item" on a board and had the client prioritize them in order of importance. After the client left, my team decided which of the most important "PBI's" to work on in a three-week "sprint" before our next meeting with her.
I was then tasked with the duty of making a content audit, making an inventory list of all the content on the current PTC library site. This helped me and my team brainstorm how many pages we would need and what would go on which page. Then I worked on creating new text for the pages, transferring the most important text from the original site and changing it to create a more welcoming and friendly feeling. Meanwhile, the rest of the team designed and built two of the pages.
When the first sprint ended, we showed the client
what we had accomplished. She liked a lot of the progress but had many new requests, which is a perfectly natural part of our agile development process. We formed the new
requests into PBI's to work on in the next sprint, and got to work. At one point during a sprint, we also had users come and test the website and give us feedback on usability. We discovered we had to add some major improvements, such as an easier to read font and more clearly-labelled content buttons.
My team and I worked very diligently on the site making more and more improvements. We expanded on its search capabilities, navigation, and information while also trying to make the site welcoming. The toughest moments were when we had to explain to the client that certain features were not possible due to the site's technology and the short time frame. But since we had been working closely with the client all along, she was very understanding.
In the end, our finished product was a site that had visuals and content that were very welcoming and that will bring in more students to the library, making my team and our client very happy.